Rocca di Crovara – 460 mslm
The Crovara’s stronghold ruins of the are located on the top of a rocky sandstone spur, with steep and overhanging sides, therefore a location with a powerful defensive vocation.
Some architectural details date back to full-fledged Medieval Age, while others were probably added in the “Low” Medieval Age.
Although there are no precise documents on the year of its foundation, it is well known and documented that Crovara is closely linked to the historical family of Da Palude, Crovara’s feudal Lords, appointed in 1188 by the Emperor Federico Barbarossa.
The castle subsequent history, with its various sieges up to its almost total destruction, is therefore entwined with the fate of this family. The Da Palude, of probable Langobard origin, later in the 13th century allied with the Ghibellines faction and was also involved in banditry actions, so as to prompt the joint militias of Reggio and Parma Municipalities at the last siege of the fortress, which was finally razed to the ground in 1272.
The fortress was partially rebuilt in subsequent times until its final destruction, to which contributed the constant pillage of its parts used as construction material for the surrounding rural houses.
The stronghold ruins, however, still today, are sites of archaeological excavations which have already allowed to bring to light portions of the original interiors and to recover numerous items.
At the foot of the rocky spur, there is a church which dates back to the 17th century, when it was raised on the will of the Da Palude counts. Inside the church, recently restored, important works of art are preserved, including an Annunciation and a Madonna of the Rosary bearing the dedication of the Da Palude.
Sorry, no posts found.